Tom Cruise honours late 'Top Gun' co-star Val Kilmer with moment of silence at CinemaCon |

Tom Cruise honours late ‘Top Gun’ co-star Val Kilmer with moment of silence at CinemaCon |


Tom Cruise honours late 'Top Gun' co-star Val Kilmer with moment of silence at CinemaCon before Mission: Impossible – The Final Reckoning presentation

Tom Cruise opened his highly anticipated CinemaCon appearance on Thursday with a moving tribute to his “Top Gun” co-star, Val Kilmer, who died Tuesday in Los Angeles. “I’d like to honor a dear friend of mine, Val Kilmer,” said Cruise, at the start of his hotly anticipated appearance at the annual industry summit in Las Vegas.
“He loved movies and he gave a lot to all of us with his performances and his films,” Cruise said to a room full of movie theater owners. “I really can’t tell you how much I admired his work, how much I thought of him as a human being, and how grateful and honored I was when he joined ‘Top Gun’ and then came back for ‘Top Gun: Maverick.'”

Cruise called for a moment of silence, which stood in stark contrast to the otherwise action-packed presentation of Paramount Pictures’ upcoming movies. The actor led the audience at Caesars Palace casino in a lengthy silence, asking attendees to “take a moment and just think about all the wonderful times that we had” watching Kilmer on the big screen.
“Thank you, Val. I wish you well on your next journey,” he said to the silent room.

Kilmer, one of the biggest Hollywood actors of the 1990s, who shot to fame playing Iceman in the original 1986 “Top Gun”, died aged 65, his family announced this week.
The cause of death was pneumonia. Kilmer had battled throat cancer after being diagnosed in 2014, and made his final appearance in the “Top Gun” 2022 sequel “Maverick,” physically diminished and with a raspy voice.
“Top Gun” was Kilmer’s breakout role. Starring opposite Cruise, he played the cocky, square-jawed and mostly silent fighter pilot in training Tom “Iceman” Kazansky.
When he reprised his role as “Iceman” in the long-awaited sequel “Top Gun: Maverick,” Kilmer’s real-life health issues were written into the character.
Cruise on Thursday also introduced a new trailer for “Mission: Impossible – The Final Reckoning,” the eighth installment of the franchise set to hit theaters May 23.
Given that the 62-year-old is one of the rare stars who is still a near-guarantee for box office success, Cruise is an unsurprising darling of the annual convention and trade show in Las Vegas, where studios hype up cinemas and seek to convince theater owners they can lure audiences out of the house.
Cruise’s tribute to McQ Most celebrity appearances throughout the convention comprise a few minutes onstage. But Cruise gave a thoughtful, off-the-prompter tribute to Christopher McQuarrie – or as Cruise calls him, McQ – who was honored as CinemaCon’s director of the year.
The speech, followed by a long list of thank-yous to colleagues and the audience, lasted nearly 20 minutes before a new trailer was introduced.
Cruise talked at length about following the filmmaker’s career after McQuarrie, at 26, won the Oscar for original screenplay for “The Usual Suspects.”
“Most people are still finding their voices at that age, but McQ had already written a film that changed the cinematic landscape,” Cruise said.
The pair first worked together on the 2008 World War II drama, “Valkyrie,” which McQuarrie co-wrote. “We met in LA in my screening room and we spent hours together talking about movies. And from that meeting, I knew that he was an artist that I was going to work with for the rest of my life. I absolutely knew that he was a creative brother who shares the same love and passion for cinema,” Cruise said.
McQuarrie began directing the “Mission Impossible” franchise with its fifth installment, “Rogue Nation.” Cruise recounted the challenges they’ve faced with the most recent two films, including pandemic lockdowns and Hollywood strikes, and credited McQuarrie with making the films happen.
“He didn’t do it for personal glory, not just to make a film, but truly in recognition of the responsibility that we have for others, for our industry,” Cruise said.
The upcoming film was the highlight of Paramount’s slate. The first film they teased was Edgar Wright’s upcoming “The Running Man,” a dystopian game show thriller based on the Stephen King novel of the same name. To tease the first footage from the film, actors Glen Powell, who is also being honored as CinemaCon’s star of the year, Colman Domingo and Josh Brolin hyped the film alongside Wright.

“Now, more than ever, we need movies in the movie theaters that bring people from all different backgrounds and ideologies together, for one simple reason: to be entertained,” Powell said before elaborating on the lengths to which he would go to entertain audiences. “I’ve fallen from buildings, I’ve jumped through explosions, I had my body thrashed and smashed. This is probably what I get for asking Tom Cruise advice on using a stunt double.”
The studio also showed new footage from its upcoming reboot of “The Naked Gun,” which stars Liam Neeson and Pamela Anderson. Channing Tatum, another CinemaCon honoree for distinguished decade of achievement in film, also came out on stage to introduce footage for “Roofman,” a based-on-a-true-story crime thriller about a man who escaped prison after being convicted of several robberies.
The docket was also filled with animated franchises, like “Smurfs,” which stars Rihanna, and “The SpongeBob Movie: Search for SquarePants,” which hits theaters in December.





Source link

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top
Receive the latest news

Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter

Get notified about new articles